Building on WCF member-supported pilot education programs, ECHOES strengthens cocoa-growing communities by expanding opportunities for youth and young adults through livelihoods, literacy and basic education.
October 2007 - September 2015
Building on World Cocoa Foundation member-supported pilot education programs, WCF Empowering Cocoa Households with Opportunities and Education Solutions (ECHOES) strengthens cocoa-growing communities by expanding opportunities for youth and young adults through education. WCF ECHOES serves as a scalable model for education in rural West Africa and currently supports 38 communities in the regions of Haut Sassandra, Moyen Comoé, Agnéby, Moyen Cavally Region, and Sud Bandama of Côte d’Ivoire, and 41 communities in the Western and Ashanti regions of Ghana.
Côte d’Ivoire and Ghana
- Empower communities through basic and adult education
- Strengthen the capacity of community based organizations
- Improve cocoa household incomes for livelihoods development
Progress to Date:
- 11,387 in-school and 2,073 out-of-school youth receive vocational agriculture training. 5,481 students in Ghana and 5,906 in Côte d’Ivoire completed one year of in-school agriculture training which includes both a classroom learning component and age-appropriate practical training component. The curriculum is designed to follow the cultural calendar of cocoa growing, starting in September/October, around the height of the cocoa harvest. The out-of-school youth training included 1,347 participants in Ghana and 726 in Côte d’Ivoire. A total of 3,314 students also participated in agriculture clubs.
- 1,663 Family Support Scholarships awarded. Parent-child pairs from Ghana (1,176) and Côte d’Ivoire (487) were awarded scholarships equivalent to three years of the child’s school-related expenses. Additionally, 1,056 of the mothers participated in small business training.
- 10 teacher resource and 10 community resource centers established. A total of 10 teacher resource centers were established/upgraded for use by teachers (5 in Ghana, 5 in Côte d’Ivoire). In Ghana, three community resource centers were established with information and communications technology (ICT).
- 6,597 youth and adults received functional literacy training. Classes are led by trained local tutors using a cocoa-specific functional literacy manual developed under a previous WCF member-supported pilot program. A total of 1,322 people were trained in Ghana and 5,661 in Côte d’Ivoire.
- 9,693 pre-service and in-service teachers and administrators trained. 8,069 teachers in Ghana (6,225 pre-service, 1,844 in-service) and 1,518 teachers in Côte d’Ivoire. A total of 43 administrators were trained in Ghana and 63 in Côte d’Ivoire.
WCF ECHOES Sub-Projects
U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID)
WCF member companies: Barry Callebaut, Fazer Confectionery Ltd., Guittard Chocolate Company, Hain Celestial Group’s Sunspire Brand, The Hershey Company, Mars, Incorporated, Mondelez International, Nestlé, Olam International Ltd., Safmarine Container Lines, See’s Candies, Inc., Starbucks Coffee Company
Industry partners: Norwegian Association of Chocolate Manufacturers, Jacobs Foundation
Winrock International, World Education, Inc.
Send to a Friend!
Please use the form below to send this page to a friend! It is required that you place an e-mail.